Wednesday, April 22, 2009

First Day Turkey Hunting

I was skunked today. After getting pulled over by a state trooper for "not stopping at a stop sign", I got out to the farm late. By the time I located some gobblers and got the decoys set up, the turkeys were out of the trees. After about three hours sitting over that field I moved.

Long story short I saw 5 hens by about 10 am, but no toms. Then I left to get a drink. After I got back I settled in and scratched a few yelps. I heard a faint answer. So we called back and forth to each other for a good hour or so. Eventually he shut up and I didn't see him... until I saw movement going up the hill. He was chasing the last two hens that came within 10 feet of me earlier.

I'm not upset in the least. I got to see three deer in the field, six turkeys and a black squirrel. Even though I didnt shoot I had a great day. It's 9 pm and I'm TIRED. The fresh air and being outdoors was well worth it.

Tomorrow I'll be up nice and early and set up well before the sun even thinks about rising. The decoys will be all set up when the birds fly down. Hopefully I have a turkey on the ground by 6:30 or so. If not, I'll still be glad to get outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment